Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Years and New Goals

Never have I been a fan of resolutions.  In my mind: resolutions are made only to fail.  If you're one of those people who make them and are able to stick to them for an entire year, hats off to you.  You're definitely one in a million.  Every year, I like to set goals.  Last year, my main goal was to do something at least once a week that I've never done before. Cook or bake something new, visit a museum or park, eat at a new restaurant, drink a beer I've never had, go to a new fitness class, and so on.  I jotted down everything I did and found new things I enjoyed and things I didn't enjoy.  For example, I absolutely hated cardio kickboxing (so much that my friend and I actually walked out 20 minutes in to the class).  I absolutely fell in love with yoga.  I went to a Monster Truck Rally and I never care to do that again.  I traveled and experienced more this year than I probably ever have before.  If you don't try or go, then you'll never know.


Honestly, I don't need a Facebook "Year in Review" to remind me that I had a pretty fucking awesome year.  There were moments I amazed myself and wondered how some of the things I was actually capable enough to pull off.  Of course, it was filled with some low lows, meltdowns, hard lessons learned, and stress but the high highs, laughs, self-discovery and good madness made it worth it.

Along with continuing my goal of last year to do at least one thing new weekly, I've added a few new goals to the list:
  • Get a tattoo that I've wanted for years
  • Give more compliments
  • Read more (my goal every year)
  • Be more organized (another goal every year)
  • Take better care of myself (i.e. wash my face every night.  A third every year goal)
  • Learn to shrug off things that ultimately don't matter better
  • Travel
  • Start saving for Coachella (one of my bucket list experiences)


If you need some inspiration for goals to set for yourself:

49 New Year's Resolutions Every Twentysomething Should Consider
100 New Year's Resolutions

What are your personal goals you hope to achieve in 2015?

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about doing a goal post as well! Seeing everyone else's has made me think about what goals I'd like to set for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, it makes me come up with new ideas weekly. It's never too late to set goals and you don't necessarily need it to be January 1st to make new ones :)

      Delete