It's officially December 1st which means the holiday season is in full swing. While it's a magical, happy, wonderful time of year for many, the holidays can also be hard, bittersweet, and even sad for others, and some may even experience feelings from both sides. I do feel during the holiday season, people are kinder to others and act happier in general, but it never hurts to spread a little extra kindness whether it's to strangers on the streets or being kind to yourself. A little something can go a long way and you never know who's day you will brighten by a small deed. After all, kind is cool, right!?
1. Compliment yourself. Our biggest critics are ourselves and we can be negative about us on the daily. Find something you truly love about you and own it. Spreading kindness onto others begins with the kindness within.
2. Hold the door for someone.
3. Call your parents just because (or grandparents or siblings or anyone else that you love).
4. Pay it forward (pay for the person behind you in the drive-thru, whether it's their whole order or just a coffee, burger, partial payment. Anything unexpected will brighten someone's day).
5. Compliment a stranger
6. Donate an item(s) that you don't use
7. Support a local business
8. Pick up a piece of littered trash from anywhere
9. Leave an anonymous happy note or inspirational quote for someone to find
10. Bake cookies to share at work
11. Rake leaves or shovel snow for a neighbor
12. Buy a bouquet of flowers for someone (a friend, significant other, sibling, parent, cousin, aunt, even yourself...It's a-okay to brighten your own day).
13. Donate $5 to your favorite charity
14. Let someone go ahead of you at checkout
15. Help a friend in need
16. Volunteer for an hour at a local organization
17. Plant a tree or buy a cute new house plant
18. Unplug devices when not in use
19. Organize a family meal and appreciate being together
20. Disconnect from your phone and computer for an hour (or longer)
21. Stop and look around while you're outside to actually appreciate nature
22. Donate school supplies to children in underprivileged homes
23. Offer to read or play games with someone elderly or at a nursing home
24. Apologize for something you've done, whether its something big or small
25. Treat a friend to dinner
26. Ask a loved one about their day
27. Turn off the faucet while brushing teeth, scrubbing dishes, shaving, or take a shorter shower
28. Make one change for yourself that will make you a better person
29. Take food to a neighbor
30. Bring a hostess a little gift as a thank you for opening their homes and getting everyone together.
31. Recycle any items possible
32. Help someone older with the internet or learn Facebook. (After all, my mom has been on the book for years and still has a million questions about it ;) )
33. Leave a small gift for your mailman/woman. A box of chocolates, hot cocoa mix with a holiday mug, a gift card
34. Make homemade gifts to share this season
35. Invite the girls over for a night of sugar cookie decorating or gingerbread house building
36. Give blankets, coats, scarves, gloves, socks, mittens to those in need
37. Continue doing good deeds and spreading kindness through 2018
What acts of kindness will you be practicing this holiday season?