Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dear Diary.

This is the best post I've read in a while:
26, unmarried, and childless.

I've shared it and went the distance to text it to close single friends who are in the same boat.


I'm not married, I don't have children, I'm 27 and feel that "sad/worried/concerned" emotion when people ask me if I'm dating anyone and feel the need to reassure them that I'm fine...I'm not here to throw a pitty party.  I'm single and finally happy, have a dog, living life how I want to rather than consistently living to please others.  I'm going out, meeting people, enjoying myself, having fun, isn't that what your 20's are for? (after all, my sister swears I was born to be a socialite, it may have just taken me longer to accept the fact).

No, this isn't where I figured I would be in my life.  When I was 7, 21 sounded old to me.  As a little girl playing with Barbies, I pictured I would have the scenic, flawless grey house, red shutters with the white picket fence in Kirkwood, married at 22, children by 25 and living "happily ever after."


That didn't pan out according to plan and I can honestly say I'm thankful it didn't.  I'm glad I didn't end up with the guy I dated at 16, at 18, at 21, at 26.  Not that I wasn't happy with them, at the time, I was.  Like every relationship, you have the highs and lows, which leads you to question your happiness and whether the lows are really worth fighting for and whether the fights are worth the battles.  I still haven't met the one worth fighting for and vice versa, and that's okay.  I appreciate the heartbreak, the chaotic roller coasters, the losing myself only to find myself, and the amazing family and friends that have put up with me through thick and thin.

"sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together"

Some days, you question why things didn't work out, why you're here, what the reason is and then you have to remind yourself that you may never know why and while searching for the reasons, you're never going to find them.  Yes, some days are harder than others but on those days, all you can do is stop, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are lucky, lucky for being here, being alive and well and that things could always be worse.  I'm sure one day (or can only hope) that I'll figure out my place, find that one that truly matters, thinks I'm the world and live that happily ever after fantasy life.  If not, I've accepted the fact that I'll adopt an Asian and Russian baby, have dogs, and be the best friend mom that I learned the best from.


No comments:

Post a Comment